july 22, 2008

I haven't mentioned it here, but I have been volunteering for the "Science Club for Girls" at a school in Chinatown. I work with about ten 6-7 y.o. girls (first graders) once a week teaching them simple concepts about science. In reality, we play for about an hour and I try to explain how what we're doing relates to science; usually they're making too much noise to hear me. The first day with the girls (about three weeks ago) was overwhelming, but today I had a pretty good time with them.

At the end of the club each week the girls write in their journals about what we did that day. Today one girl wrote "I LOVE SCIENCE" in huge letters at the top of her journal. She also wrote that what we did was "fun and awesome". It feels really cool to be a part of their discovery of and enthusiasm for science.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Don't forget...

....kids lie, unashamedly so!

(From Sean, on Tracy's account)