march 18, 2009

being a graduate student isn't as glamorous as it sounds. i am sure some of you imagine me sitting at my desk or in the lab coming up with and carrying out amazing experiments that will change the world as we know it.

not the case. today is a prime example:

for the past few days i have noticed that our rotary pump smelled funky and was leaking a bit. i decided to change the oil and investigate the leak. i spent the last two hours dealing with the stinkiest pump oil ever created. think of rotten eggs mixed with the stench of death. it was gross. i still have no idea where the leak is coming from, but the pump and it's oil are now clean and back in use.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

be careful; I once started cleaning out a bad pump and found a ton of mercury inside. Had to send the whole thing to hazardous waste.

April said...

Thank you for the warning. Given that mercury is not allowed anywhere on the Tufts campus, I fell like this particular situation is one I can surly avoid. If time proves me wrong, I will owe you one poke in the belly.